Friday, May 7, 2010

Filing Cabinet Alternative: File Storage Ottomans



Peter Walsh has been publicizing his new line of products from OfficeMax; the You - Organized desk collection includes an ottoman designed to hold hanging files. But you can't buy the ottoman separately - and you can't get the ottoman from this OfficeMax office-in-a-box separately, either. Update on July 1, 2013: I'm not currently finding either of these products at OfficeMax.

Fortunately, there are other file ottomans available! Here are some that really caught my eye.

As I've mentioned before, Ballard Designs has a file storage ottoman (shown above) with over 135 fabric options: solid colors, florals, stripes and more.


teak file storage ottoman

Here's a gorgeous option - a teak ottoman with file storage.


filing ottoman

Go over to the U.K., and you'll find more options. This filing ottoman by Sue Bensassi is covered in an Andrew Martin fabric. Update on July 1, 2013: I'm no longer finding this ottoman.


filing ottoman

The Dormy House has this lovely filing ottoman. You can select from The Dormy House collection of fabrics, or provide your own.


filing ottoman

And finally, The Dormy House has a large filing ottoman, too.

13 comments:

WickedThrifty said...

what a great idea! i recently purchased a small square ottoman with storage inside but not for files... i keep my dumbbells in it... love these!

Jeri Dansky said...

Wicked Thrifty, that's a great storage idea for the dumbbells!

Ivy / 林爱 said...

It is not very clear from the photo or description, but IKEA's Alve storage bench comes with rails for using hanging files in about half of the space inside. I keep accordion files or ring binders in the other half. Granted, it is not an ottoman, but it is small as benches go (smaller than the large Dormy House ottoman).

Karen said...

Oh my, I love these! I feel like I saw something like these at ... Ross? I am not sure. My husband needs a better solution than his decades-old accordian file, that is for sure.

Barbara said...

Why have I never thought of that. Perfect solution for paying my bills and watching tv!! Thanks.

OneDay said...

I love these. Very practical and beautiful. I think they are huge space savers too because they make very compact extra seating for a small space. :-). Great post.

Jeri Dansky said...

Ivy, thanks for the note about (and the link to) the Ikea product!

Karen, I would imagine there are less expensive options than the ones I've shown - but I can't say for sure where. Also, you might be able to convert a normal square or rectangular storage ottoman - see here and here - to one that accommodates hanging files.

Barbara, you're welcome! I bopped over to your blog; congratulations on the new job!

Curtis said...

Super great idea! Thanks!

MarySees said...

These are all great, but I can't afford any of them, so I guess I need to find a way to make one myself.

Jeri Dansky said...

MarySees, here's a less expensive option.

Unknown said...

Last year, I surprised my husband with a new remodeled office. For weeks, he was not allowed to enter the room, nor take a peek inside. He was so excited as I was. When my husband was at work, I would paint the room and organized his books. I even had his office windows replaced since he needed more ventilation in the room. I contacted our local contractor and they installed the replacement windows. SF, thankfully has a couple of shopping malls nearby, too. I was able to buy last minute decorations. I even bought a large filling ottoman for him because he is keeping a lot of files in his storage! That product is awesome! It is good for keeping your files organized and very comfortable for sitting,too. The whole room was amazing!

Thanks for sharing the other ottomans filling designs. Great post!

daddy's-little-girl said...

Where can i get something like the dormy house file storage ottoman in the USA?

Liz Brealey said...

Brilliant idea, thank you. Our Storage Ottomans are mostly used for storing toys, magazines, duvets etc. This idea is an excellent way of adapting them to fit better in the home office. Well done.